What I'm really itching to try is what I've always thought of as 'real sewing' - that is dressmaking. Properly. With a paper pattern, a dressmaker's model, even a calico muslin... what the hell is that called again? A toile!
photo creditOne day I will have the guts and the inspiration to gather the tools I need to actually make (or at least attempt to make) an item of clothing for myself from a commercial pattern, be it vintage or modern (but probably vintage).
In the mean time here is some flickr lovliness to illustrate what I mean, because (of course) it's the process as much as the end result that I am so looking forward to.

1. Body Double 2, 2. Intro to Sewing Supplies!,
3. vintage wooden cotton reels, 4. my machine,
5. At the dressmaker's, 6. Ladies, start your clocks
3. vintage wooden cotton reels, 4. my machine,
5. At the dressmaker's, 6. Ladies, start your clocks
More aspirations over at Cindy's. Thanks Melanie at Kimino Reincarnate for this week's theme.
6 comments:
Good luck! Just dive in. :o)
Oh wow - check out those images! They really suck me in...
And I hope you do it one day. Start with a basic so you will be more likely to wear it (a skirt or top - dresses are trickier) then you'll be pretty chuffed about it because you're wearing it so often that you'll be inspired to try another one. And maybe another one...
I'm still learning myself but if you have any gruelling questions I'll give my best shot to help out.
Oh yes! This is something I'd love to try too!
Thanks for the encouragement! I think your advice is spot on Jenaveve and thanks, I just might call on you for some advice down the track.
lovely collage - some very inspiring scenes.
As for the sewing, have a go!
I'm just venturing into sewing simple bits and pieces for myself and evethough the end product is not always spot on, I still get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from puzzling through the steps.
Oh you have to just dive in and give it a go. Your first few attempts may be a little wonky but in no time you will be doing great.
Post a Comment