Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Photographer of the week... Ansel Adams

I can't say anything about Ansel Adams that hasn't already been said (and better) elsewhere. What I will say is that although everyone knows he was a Master, a God, a Forefather of photography it is absolutely something else to stand in front of one of his images, printed by him, in a gallery; a computer screen just can't do it justice - so instead this is a picture of him at work - he lugged that behemoth around mountainous Yosemite on his back and it took 8x10 glass plates!

Ansel Adams shooting in Yosemite from here

I was fortunate enough to see an exhibition of his work at a London gallery a few years back and have been absolutely in awe of him ever since. It's little wonder that this guy literally invented the zone system, you can see it in the prints through and through. Big respect.

If you get a chance to see his work in the flesh DO (even if you don't think you're into landscape photography)!

You might also be interested in the official website, the Wiki entry, and/or a video tour of his home-studio with with his son, Michael.

2 comments:

tea with lucy said...

What a cool pic. Many years ago my husband climbed to the top of Half Dome (while I sat and waited at the half way mark). I Love Yosemite!

Holly said...

How cool! It looks magical but I've never been there myself.