Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Photographer of the week... Diane Arbus

This photo fascinated me as a teenager just becoming interested in photography.


The format, the light, the era, the boy and his hand twisted into such a passionate claw, combined with his expression (begging the question what was his relationship to the photographer?), the decisive moment of releasing the shutter - it all seemed different from anything I'd seen before and I became really interested in her work and her life.

This website says "Arbus' work impacts the photography world with a sharp attack on the boundaries of what is considered to be "proper" or "tasteful" art. In 1972, Diane Arbus was the first American photographer to be exhibited at the Venice Biennale."


She was talented and successful, it would have been wonderful to see what she produced had her life not been cut short so early.

Admittedly I was more drawn to her work and found it more meaningful when I was younger; I don't know if it was the infatuation with a new passion (photography), or that I identified with the subject matter being a teenager and feeling out of place. What seemed raw and honest then seems more voyeuristic and confronting now. Maybe I'm just going soft; her work is still very impressive. And seeing it again transports me back to when I experienced her work for the first time and the way it made me feel.

More images at http://diane-arbus-photography.com.

More info here and here if you are interested, and I really like what this blogger had to say.

1 comment:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I love Arbus's work! She and Mary Ellen Mark were my biggest inspirations when I was at uni (doing photojournalism).