Saturday, April 25, 2009
Work in Progress
I bought this skirt from an op shop without trying it on because it was Levis and looked as though it had never been worn and I couldn't see a size on it anywhere. It was cheap enough that it didn't matter if it didn't fit which is good because it didn't. I later found a tag somewhere on an inside seam that said it was extra small!
It so didn't fit and was never going to fit no matter how long it sat in my wardrobe that it went straight into the fabric box to eventually become something else.
Then when we were well into April, and I realised I had done zero preparation to achieve my April goal of sewing an item of clothing for myself, I thought I might cheat and refashion this one by opening up the two seams at the front and adding new panels of some amazing fabric. I bought some fabric I thought would work last weekend; it's a fine gauge cord and I thought the weight of it matched the weight of the denim.
During the week I got the seam ripper out and opened up the seams, and today I played around with some stash fabric to test whether the panels should taper or not (not). And that's when I realised that not only is the fabric I bought totally wrong the whole thing might look totally eighties and naff even with the perfect fabric (which I'm now thinking could be a plain brown cord). I haven't given up hope but I've definitely stalled and I doubt I'll be finished by the end of April.
So someone's daughter is going to get a new pinny with butterflies this winter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment