We have been thinking and researching and drooling over options to carry the two kids around for some time now. The option that we felt suited us best was the Dutch Bakfiets however they are very expensive to import to Australia and they only have three gears which would be difficult in our hilly suburban surrounds.
We considered a wee ride on the front plus a seat on the back, we were consistently told a trailer was our best bet but we really didn't want one. Safety, manouverability, communication with the kids, the fact it's a pvc sweat box were all downfalls in our opinion and even though you see them advertised everywhere we haven't seen many being used in our travels and the people we know who've had them say they're horrible.
So when Tavis came across a bloke in Ballarat doing his own import of what looks very much like a Bakfiets but with 8 gears at about a third of the cost it didn't take us long to place our order and the glorious "big bike" has already arrived and been built.
I love it, Tavis loves it, the boys love it (so far). I can see a lot more cycling in our future and a lot more blog posts too :)
3 comments:
It looks great!! Congrats! The kids look so happy. I can't wait for all of the snow to melt where we are so that I can get back to biking again. I believe that your bike is still a bakfiets (translation: box bike), even if it's not the bakfiets.nl brand (which, by the way, does have 8 gears, not 3--at least mine does).
Can't wait to read more about how you like it!
That's exciting, I figured the name was specific to the brand. I'm glad you've got 8 gears - I can't imagine how anyone outside Amsterdam manages with just 3!
Oooh, you have one of these types! Fabulous! We totally love our Christiania, we've been car-less for a few years so this has made everything much easier. Perhaps we'll come across each other on the bike paths somewhere... x Gina
Post a Comment