Thursday, March 26, 2009

Learning

I am trying to learn to crochet, as was the plan for March, but I am finding it as difficult as it was learning how to knit without being instructed by a knowledgeable person.

My grandmother taught me to knit when I was quite young (about 7 I imagine) and I knitted little scarves for my teddies because that was about all the attention span I could muster and so I never developed my skills any further. I wasn't terribly interested again until I was about 33 and saw on several blogs how to reclaim yarn from a knitted jumper which inspired me. So I went out and bought some needles and yarn (and an old jumper) from a thrift shop and set about refreshing my memory of how to knit over the internet.

It went rather well and I quickly knitted a lovely scarf until I ran out of yarn and decided that next I wanted to try the "other" stitch, purl. Purl was OK too but going from purl to plain and back again was leaving me very perplexed until a real live knitter showed me what I was doing wrong.

Anyway, I am finding that crochet is equally difficult to learn without a teacher that has a pulse if you have no experience of it whatsoever. I mastered the chain thing pretty quickly and I am starting to get the hang of the single crochet I think but confidence feels a long way off right now. Of all the online advice I found this site was the best.

No comments: